Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, February 13, 2009

    i HEART u. Soul Kitchen Singles this Sunday w/ Tevin Campbell [at Blvd Room] + My P.S. Things I Don't Get About Women...

    What's up?
    Happy Family Day Long Weekend. And Happy Valentine's Day.

    I'm really, really tired, but in a really good mood. You know when you're looking for something, but can't find it? That's where I am. I've looked EVERYWHERE. And the joke is, I think I hid it from myself. And with my luck it's hidden in plain sight *(like when my dad is looking for his keys that are in his hand... or my mom with the glasses that are on her face...).

    Anyway, I just talked to TEVIN, and he's ready..... Over the last couple of days, since Diddy made the DJ comment (I still have to finish my thoughts on that), and I wrote my email, there's been tons of discourse on whether records can be "broken", meaning made known to the masses, in the environment of the club. So, just now, when my phone rang, and the phone was handed to none other than Tevin Campbell (with whom I've never spoken), I told him that I've been looking everywhere for and instrumental for "Alone" - one of my favorite Tevin songs. He said that "funny enough, I never really perform that song - it wasn't a single or anything".

    "Alone", is... as Jon B's "Keep it Real", Terry Ellis' "Where Ever You Are", and BlackStreet's "I Can't Get You Out of My Mind" - TORONTO songs. When Jon B. came for the Soul Kitchen 3.5 (2 years ago May), he said that he didn't ever perform that song... "That soundtrack song? Nah... I never perform it". Toronto is a TRUE musical city...

    This weekend, I hope that my vision of bringing TRUE talent - new and emerging, and classic to the city is embraced...

    We start with the first vocalist from the "BMU - You Will Know"... Remember that one?

    You know you're not really doing any work on Long Weekend Friday anyway...Let's take a trip down memory lane with a few videos to get you in the mood...

    *********************************************


















    2 Gold Albums. 1 Platinum Album. 1 Double Platinum album.
    TEVIN CAMPBELL.

    Tell Me What You Want Me To Do... Tevin.
    Alone With You... Tevin.
    Confused... Tevin.
    Can We Talk... Tevin.
    Strawberry Letter 23... Tevin.
    Look What We'd Have... Tevin.
    I'm Ready... Tevin
    Always in My Heart... Tevin.
    8 time Grammy Award Nominee. Soul Train Music Award Winner. 2 time American Music. Tevin.

    Tevin Campbell is coming to the Soul Kitchen. In the tradition of those before him such as Jon B, Dwele, Glenn Lewis and Ray Robinson. And trust me, he won't be the last leading up to Soul Kitchen 5 Year Anniversary in May which I've aptly entitled A Dream Deferred...
    Stay tuned.
    And look out for next weeks email with details on Dr. Jay's Return Fete (March 7th), Amnesia (March 14th) and more.
    Just a note: There are no advanced tickets... It's $20 - just come to the door, smelling nice, looking great and with your attitude open and ready to entertained.
    Tell a friend.
    Real music lives. F what you heard.
    Plus all the usual Soul Kitchen goodness - Aaliyah to Zhane and all points between including but not limited to...
    AALIYAH AARON HALL ADRIANA EVANS AL B. SURE ALISHA KEYS ALLURE AMEL LARRIEUX ANGIE STONE ARETHA FRANKLIN ASHFORD AND SIMPSON BABYFACE BEVERLEY KNIGHT BILAL BILL WITHERS BLACKGIRL BLACK MEN UNITED BLACKSTREET BOBBY BROWN BOYZ II MEN BRANDY BRIAN MCKNIGHT BROWNSTONE CAMBELL BROTHERS CAMEO CARON WHEELER CARL THOMAS CASE CASSERINE CHAKA KHAN CHANTE MOORE CHAUNCEY HANNIBAL CHUCKIE BOOKER CLYMAXXX CODY CHESNUT COLOR ME BADD D'ANGELO DAMIEN HALL DAVE HOLLISTER DAVINA DEBORAH COX DES'REE DEVOX DONELL JONES DIONNE FARRIS DONNIE DRU HILL DWELE EARTH, WIND & FIRE ELLIS HALL 3 EN TOUCH EN VOGUE ERIC BENET FAITH EVANS FLOETRY FORCE M.D.'S FOUR TOPS GABRIELLE GEORGE BENSON GEORGE MICHAEL GINUWINE GLENN LEWIS GRENIQUE GROOVE THEORY GUY HEATHER HEDLEY H-TOWN INDIA.ARIE INTRO JADE JAGGED EDGE JAGUAR WRIGHT JAHEIM JAMES BROWN JANET JACKSON JAZZYFATNASTEES JESSE POWELL JILL SCOTT JODECI JOE JOHNNY GILL JOI JULLY BLACK KEITH CROUCH KEITH SWEAT KELIS KELLY PRICE KENNY LATTIMORE KOFFEE BROWN LAURYN HILL LEVERT LIONEL RICHIE LISA STANSFIELD LUCY PEARL LUTHER VANDROSS MARVIN GAYE MARY J. BLIGE MAXWELL MICHAEL JACKSON MINT CONDITION MISTA MONA LISA MONICA MONIFAH MUSIQ SOULCHILD NEXT NICOLE RAY OMAR ORAN JUICE JONES PRINCE PROFYLE R. KELLY RAHSAAN PATTERSON RAPHAEL SAADIQ RIFF ROBERT PALMER RODNEY JERKINS RUFF ENDZ SADE SAMUELLE SAUKRATES SHAI SILK SIMPLY RED SOUL 4 REAL SOUL II SOUL SOUNDS OF BLACKNESS STEPHANIE MILLS STEVIE WONDER SUNSHINE ANDERSON SWEET SABLE SWEETBACK SWV SYBIL TANYA BLOUNT TANYA VAUGHN TAMIA TAMMY LUCAS TEDDY RILEY TEMPTATIONS TERRENCE TRENT D'ARBY TEVIN CAMPBELL THE DEELE TIMEX SOCIAL CLUB TODAY TONI BRAXTON TONY RICH TONY TERRY TONY TONI TONE TRIBE CALLED QUEST TROOP TYRESE UNCLE SAM UNV USHER VIVIAN GREEN WHISTLE WHITEHEAD BROTHERS XSCAPE ZHANE

    Yours sincerely,

    IAN ANDRE ESPINET



    ian andre espinet
    ian andre espinet entertainment +
    black star graphic design & communications
    canada's leading urban graphic design studio. period.
    ian andre espinet 2007


    RE:VISION
    In September 1999, we revolutionized the way you viewed events with Amnesia. Since then, we have listened to you, our patrons and friends, and changed to suit your lifestyle. In the orchestration of our flagship event, Amnesia, we have stayed true to our goals. In the creation of other signature events such as Soul Kitchen, Big People Fete, B-Boy Document, X-Factor, ICON, re:connect, Socaholics, The ONE, Music Cafe etc, we have continued the mission.

    With more than 2/3 of the urban nightlife scene attending Amnesia and/or one of the our signature events in the past 6 years, we continue to prove that success takes more than VISION. It takes RE:VISION. Stay tuned as we hone our online presence - www.amnesia.ca coming soon...

    p.s. Since it's Valentine's day... I've always had a few questions about women...
    - how come you guys like to sleep with our shirts?
    - why you can't just order some fries at the drive thru? why you have to be all up in mine when you said you didn't want any...
    - and why do you ask questions you don't want the answer to like "do these pants make me look fat"?
    - and why do you think that "down" is the natural position of the toilet seat, when "both down" is?
    - is it true that you know whether you'd ___________ a man in the first fifteen seconds?
    - and if no one would know, and there was no double standard, would you sleep with nuff people?
    - and how come "indecent proposal" doesn't bother you? It should...
    - and why do you have to nag... and don't look at the screen that way... you know you do... or will...
    - and why when we "give it a label, does it become unstable"?
    - and what are you talking about for so long on the phone with your girls?
    - and really... after I meet you - why is it not possible for me to have another female friend again?
    - why can't any woman get along with a mother in law? or an ex for that matter?
    - and why do I have to remind you 10 times to check your tires, or your oil or pay that bill, but you remember to harass me about some irrelevant thing?
    - and why do you over analyse my words? I mean what I said..
    - and how come you can make a joke about us getting fat or flopping in bed... but if we do it........
    - and why do you stay with someone that treats you badly then complain?
    - and why do we have to plan everything... ever hear of spontaneous?
    - and why must you hold on to things that happened ages ago & spring them today when I don't know what you're talking about?
    - and why do you want to talk to me about your monthly visitor or auntie flow? You see me here squeeming right?
    - and why do you want your man off facebook...
    - why if you've been sick for 2 weeks, don't you just go to the doctor instead of complaining? You're getting on my nerves...
    - why can't you drive? (just kidding... but why do you have to be so aggressive Napoleon...)
    - why don't you tell your friend if her face and neck don't match?
    - and why do you insist on hugging me if I'm wearing white and you know you're wearing makeup?
    - and why do you lie about your shoe size by a half size?
    - when I call ahead and LIE that I'm downstairs, why does it still take you another 15 minutes to get down?
    - does size really matter? I don't have the problem... I'm just asking...
    - why do you want someone to "take care of you", but then when we get in a fight, you want to tell me "this is why I don't like anyone doing anything for me"... Pick one - you can't want to be romanced, but then when I pick up the cheque you're insulted because you've been listening to Beyonce talking about independent ladies...
    - speaking of B... why do you guys sing stupid songs that make no sense "if you like it then you should have put a ring on it"... I would have, but you gave it up. Kidding. Sort of. LOL.
    - why do you have a menu for what you want in a man... let me give you a piece of advice - look for someone that makes you laugh, is nice, and kind and forget all this good looking, must have good credit, nice job and hot car - cause that's why he's not nice.
    - and why are your washrooms in the club nasty? What the heck are you guys doing in there?
    - why do you think I can read your mind. If you have to ask me if I don't know why you're mad, then I don't.
    Out...

    No comments: